Top News Headlines This Week: Sunday, September 04, 1910
Daddy's Birth Day
Sep 5 - Jack Coombs begins a record streak of 53 shutout innings
Sep 10 - Great Idaho Fire destroys 3 million acres of timber
Sep 11 - 1st commercially successful electric bus line opens (Hollywood)
Sep 12 - World's 1st female cop, Alice Stebbins Wells, appointed (LAPD)
A few tidbits about what else was happening in 1910...
President: William Howard Taft
Vice: President: James S. Sherman
Pope: Pius X (1903–1914)
Top Songs for 1910
Ah! Sweet Mystery Of Life" w. Rida Johnson Young m. Victor Herbert
Come Josephine In My Flying Machine" w. Alfred Bryan m. Fred Fisher
Doctor Tinkle Tinker" by Otto Harbach
Down By The Old Mill Stream" w.m. Tell Taylor
Let Me Call You Sweetheart" w. Beth Slater Whitson m. Leo Friedman
Plant A Watermelon On My Grave And Let The Juice Soak Through" w.m. Frank Dumont & R. P. Lilly
Play That Barbershop Chord" w. Ballard MacDonald & William Tracey m. Lewis F. Muir
Put On Your Ta-Ta Little Girlie" w.m. Fred Leigh
* The earth passes through the tail of Comet Halley.
* First flight of Zeppelin airship.
* Thomas Edison demonstrated the first talking motion picture.
* Georges Claude displayed the first neon lamp to the public on
December 11, 1910, in Paris.
* In the 1910's, gifts were wrapped with brown paper or tissue paper.
Occasionally, you could find tissue paper with solid colors or printed
patterns, but usually white was used. This all changed in 1917,
when the Hall Brothers Store in Kansas City ran out of tissue paper
right before Christmas. Thinking quickly, the owners put some fancy
envelope lining papers on sale for 10 cents a sheet. When it sold out,
they knew they had a potential goldmine. The Hall Brothers company
had recently begun manufacturing greeting cards, and they added
printed wrapping paper to the lineup.
This company eventually became Hallmark.
* Potato chips were invented at Saratoga Springs in 1853.
They were known as saratoga chips, and were served only in
restaurants until the 1890's. Grocery stores started selling them in 1895.
In the 1910's, they were becoming known as potato chips, and were sold in
tins or dispensed from bulk containers and barrels.
* "A prize in every box"....In 1910, a box of Cracker Jack came with a
coupon inside, which could be traded for a prize. In 1912, the company
started putting actual prizes in the boxes.
Top Books in 1910
Howards End - E. M. Forster
The Emerald City of Oz — L. Frank Baum
Heritage of the Desert — Zane Grey
The History of Mr. Polly — H.G. Wells
La Vagabonde — Colette
The Return — Walter de la Mare
Twenty Years at Hull House — Jane Addams
The Village — Ivan Alexeyevich Bunin
Movies in 1910
* A Christmas Carol
* A Day in the Life of a Coal Miner
* What the Daisy Said
* Wolf Blood
* The Wonderful Wizard of Oz
New Products in the 1910's
* Hog-hair bristle toothbrushes
* Colgate Dental Cream
* Palmolive, Ivory & Lifebuoy Soap
* Nivea skin cream (1911)
* Jurgens lotion
* Kellogg's Toasted Corn Flakes
* Quaker Oats
* Crisco (1911)
* Hellman's Blue Ribbon Mayonnaise (1912)
* Chicken Of The Sea tuna (1914)
* Morton Salt (1912)
* Oreo cookies (1912)
* Life Savers candy (1912)
* Chicklets gum (1914)
* Coca-Cola, Hires Root Beer, Moxie, Dr. Pepper, Pepsi-Cola, Orange Crush, Chero-Cola
* Health Kups**Dixie Cups
* Men's wristwatches
US Population: 92.2 million
Average annual income: $963
Average price of a new car: $500
Average price of a new house: $4,800
Steak (lb): 24¢